Post-Uni Life


I wasn't sure about writing this post. Given that September usually brings an onslaught of posts offering advice to those about to start the amazing journey that is university life, would people really want to hear about what happens when it's all over? After talking to a couple of friends, I get the feeling that it's not just me that's a bit lost now uni's over. So today I thought I'd talk about a couple of things that I've reflected upon over the last few months. Partly to clear my head a bit so I can get out of the post-uni bubble I've been living in, and partly to explain why I've not really had any motivation to blog recently.

Just one of the things I miss about York...

1. Post-uni blues are definitely a thing. 
Going from living independently with some of my best friends to being back in my little box room at my parents' house was a massive change. I miss eating what I want, doing what I want, going out with my housemates (and doing nothing at all watching rubbish tv with them too). I miss uni (mostly)  and the lovely people from my course. And I miss being in York, which is far prettier than Sunderland. I find myself being very jealous of all those people heading off to uni and who still have it all to look forward to. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and it's really nice actually being in the same city as my boyfriend. Compared to a lot of people I think I have it quite easy, my parents haven't asked me to pay board or anything, so I don't feel like I've got the right to complain or be sad. It has really taken some getting used to though, and I don't really feel remotely like an adult. I think it's probably okay to miss uni from time to time, especially seeing as it hasn't been that long since I left York. Technically its not even really over yet because I don't actually graduate until November. I just need to make sure I focus on the future and don't spend too much time reminiscing.

2. Having a degree doesn't guarantee you'll know your career path immediately.
I chose to study History at uni because I love it. I've never been someone that's known what they want to do all their life. So far I've wanted to be an astronaut, an archaeologist, a fashion designer and a writer. Going to uni has allowed me to develop a lot of different skills, but I still don't know which career path to take. I've considered working in museums and libraries, but both of these require a postgraduate qualification which, at the minute, I can't afford. Even if I could, I would want to be sure that's what I want to do before I spend such a huge amount of money. I plan to keep looking for jobs, in the hope that something comes up that I'll just know is what I want to do. I know that finding the perfect career takes time and I feel like it's probably better to take your time learning what you really want to do, rather than succumbing to pressure to find a career straight away.

3. Jobs are hard to find and harder to get.
The subject of jobs is something that probably haunts every graduate. If I had a pound for every time I've been asked how the job search is going, I wouldn't actually need a job. As it is I do have a job, even if it is part time at Debenhams in the Metrocentre. I do really like it and it pays enough for me to do everything I want to at the minute, but not enough that I'd be able to move out. I have been able to book a trip to London in November, and after that I've said I'll learn to drive. But as I said above, I'm yet to find anything else that I think I'll be any good at or want to do. A lot of the jobs in the North East, including graduate schemes and such, seem to be aimed at people with maths/science/engineering backgrounds. I am not remotely one of those people. Even my boyfriend, who has a 2:1 in Maths is yet to find something. I only have a couple of friends that have been able to get jobs in the field they wanted. So even though I'm yet to really experience it myself, I understand what it's like to be searching and searching for a job. I've learned that perseverance and staying positive are really important, even when things aren't going well.

4. Going to uni was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
I'll never regret my decision to go to uni - moving away is definitely the best thing I've ever done. When I think about what I was like before I went, compared to how I am now it's amazing to see how much I've changed. Deciding to move away was really scary but I know now that it was the best thing I could have done. I'm much more independent, even if I still have the odd wobble (currently over learning to drive - I'm terrified!). I've met some of the most amazing people and enjoyed (nearly) every moment of the experience. Of course I'll miss being a student from time to time - especially when my student card runs out - but I'll always be glad that I did it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.