A Portrait of the National Health


Last week I did my first shift as a shop volunteer for the National Trust at Treasurer's House in York. I really enjoyed it actually, I did make a couple of mistakes with the till, but I don't think I'll make the same ones again. I volunteer fortnightly and the people there seem so lovely that I felt comfortable straight away.

It might sound a bit, well, awful but this is the first time I've ever done any proper work. When I left school I wasn't really that bothered about getting a job so my job hunting was a bit half-hearted. It wasn't until I got to last year, my second year of college, that I stopped being so lazy. Now that I'm at uni I'm pretty much skint all the time and I can't get a job because I've got no experience.

Hopefully volunteering for the National Trust will give me the experience I need to get an actual paid job. I'm hoping I'll get some confidence too. Since coming to uni I have noticed I am a bit more confident, I can't imagine myself doing anything like this a year ago and I'm quite proud of myself for doing something about not being able to get a job, rather than just moaning about how nobody wants to employ me.

For now, I'm counting down the days until I can go home for the Easter holidays. Only 7 to go :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.